What is Wellness Coaching?
Have you had trouble reaching or maintaining your health and wellness goals? Did you ever feel you’d like someone to guide you along the way, keep you motivated and accountable? If so, wellness coaching may be for you!
Coaching is a professional relationship that helps you bridge the gap between where you are now and where you want to be in your life. A coach helps you take the strengths and resources you already have and:
- Make decisions about the changes you’d like to make,
- Develop a personal “action plan”
- Implement your plan and make the necessary behavioral changes
- Develop strategies to maintain the changes you’ve made. In addition, a coach supports, encourages, teaches, and helps you stay “on track” as you journey toward your goals.
In particular, a wellness coach helps you reach and maintain your best ever state of health and well-being. Wellness coaching can include discussions about anything that affects your health, fitness, and general well-being. The main areas that a wellness coach helps with are: getting fit, improving your nutrition, managing stress, and maintaining a healthy weight. It’s is about making long-lasting healthy lifestyle changes, not simply finding quick fixes. Wellness coaches help you develop and implement your personal wellness plan by:
- helping you define a higher purpose for wellness
- helping you define a personal wellness blueprint – what wellness looks like to you
- helping you set realistic goals
- helping you harness your existing strengths to overcome obstacles
- helping you build a support team
I have lots of skills to help you reach your wellness goals. I’m a great listener, and I’m pretty intuitive. I will engage, energize, and challenge you to reach higher at just the right moment. Together, we’ll tune into your strengths, values, and desires. I’ll take risks and ask courageous questions. I know that your health is at stake if you don’t take good care of yourself. And I know how to celebrate your successes!
As a psychologist, I’ve been in the business of helping people change for over 25 years! I bring my many years of training and experience to the coaching relationship. Coaching is very different from therapy. Psychotherapy is a health care service. Its primary focus is to identify, diagnose, and treat nervous and mental disorders. The goals include alleviating symptoms, understanding the underlying personality dynamics which create symptoms, changing the dysfunctional behaviors which are the result of these disorders, and developing ways of helping patients cope with their psychological problems.
Coaching is a collaborative relationship in which the coach is not “the expert”, but has the training and skills to help you reach your most important goals by being honest and direct, asking straightforward yet powerful questions, holding you accountable, helping you build increased self-awareness, and using challenging techniques to help you move forward into the types of actions that are going to create true, lasting change.
You could benefit from wellness coaching if:
- You have significant changes you want to make in one or more areas of your general wellness
- You need to overhaul the way you eat, or figure out how to make exercise a routine part of your day
- You know that your stress management tools are not working, but don’t know how to change this
My coaching services are provided by phone or by video-conferencing, for the convenience of my clients. There’s no need for you to spend your valuable time fighting traffic to get to my office! You can easily work towards your most important wellness goals from the comfort and privacy of your home, office or car.
Coaching packages are customized according to the needs of each individual client. We can work together on a monthly, bi-weekly, or weekly basis, depending on your timeline, schedule and budget. Sessions vary in length from 30-60 minutes, and are scheduled at a time convenient for you.
Call, email or text me to set up a complementary telephone session at a time that works for you.
I’m looking forward to working with you as you move towards the state of wellness you’ve been longing for.
Take good care!
Doreen Lerner, Ph.D.