The Full Mind Weigh™ to Lifelong Weight Management, a program of the Institute for Lifelong Weight Management – teaching you the psychological and emotional skills you need to keep the weight off forever!
There’s a cultural myth that states that regaining your lost weight is inevitable. It’s not true! Sure, maintenance is challenging – but people can and do succeed.
Over the years, there have been many research studies of the characteristics of people who successfully keep off their lost weight.
Here are some of the recent findings:
- they weigh themselves daily
- they track their daily food intake
- they exercise regularly
- they stay on a healthy eating plan
- they pay attention to portion sizes
- they prepare most of their meals at home
- they don’t “splurge” on weekends, or for holidays or other special events
- they eat breakfast
- they plan ahead for what they are going to eat
- they don’t eat in response to their emotions or in response to stress
- they have good coping and problem solving skills
- they avoid black and white thinking
- they eat mindfully, with full awareness
- they limit their TV watching to less than 10 hours a week
- they catch “slips” early, before they turn into large amounts of weight regained
- their self-worth is based on factors other than weight or appearance
- they have some social support
Eating the Moment by Pavel Somov, Ph.D.
Dr Somov writes beautifully and creatively, providing many practical tools for developing the habit of mindful eating. His book is informative and enjoyable to read. He encourages us to relish food and to enjoy tasting our food! Dr Somov gives us permission to taste anything we want to taste – but cautions us to bear in mind that a taste is just that – we can taste but we don’t have to devour or overindulge!
“Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.” ~~ Gail Devers, three-time Olympic champion in track and field
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.” ~~ Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the United States
With your continued health in mind,
Doreen Lerner, Ph.D.
Director, The Institute for Lifelong Weight Management
Creator, The Full Mind Weigh™ to Lifelong Weight Management
The Institute for Lifelong Weight Management provides education and training. The Full Mind Weigh™ is strictly an educational program and is not a substitute for medical or psychological evaluation or treatment. If you think you may be suffering from an eating disorder, please consult with a qualified mental health professional who is trained to evaluate and treat eating disorders.